Maastricht - How the bassist of the Heideroosjes came into the picture in a child pornography case, the justice department will not say now. The
Current criminal case
Prosecutor demands up to 5 years in prison against jihadists (NOS.nl)
The Public Prosecutor's Office is demanding up to five years in prison against three suspects who wanted to travel to Syria to join IS. They are Dutch men of Afghan, Iraqi and Kurdish descent.
Five years in prison were demanded against 27-year-old Seyed H.. The prosecution is demanding two and a half years and one year against the other two suspects.
"They participated in preparing a terrorist crime and financing terrorism," the prosecutor said in his indictment. Two suspects acknowledge that they wanted to travel to Syria, but they give an innocent reason.
Hari N. said he wanted to go help orphans. Seyed H. had previously spent a week in Syria and wanted to set up a transportation company for fruits and vegetables. "But there is nothing at all in the criminal file about a potato or an orphan," the officer said.
Chat conversations
The suspects were followed intensively by counterterrorism agents, the dossier shows. Their phones were tapped, many Skype and WhatsApp chats were recovered on their phones and laptops, and a car they were driving had wiretaps installed.
All conversations were about traveling out to Syria and what they needed to bring with them to participate in the armed struggle, the prosecution said. "I'll see you on the battlefield," a contact in Syria said during a chat. From that, the prosecution concludes that the suspect wanted to go to Kobani, where IS was fighting the Kurds.
According to the prosecution, the three also financed terrorism by transferring money to active jihad fighters in Syria. It involved 1,000 euros and later smaller amounts. "It enabled the jihadists to buy extra ammunition or a weapon," the officer said.
'Nothing to do with IS'
At the hearing yesterday, the three suspects already distanced themselves from IS. "I have absolutely nothing to do with IS and certainly did not want to end up in the caliphate," said Seyed H. He insists he wanted to leave for an innocent reason.
Hardi N., described by the prosecution as a former womanizer and alcohol drinker, said he wanted to go to Syria to "live peacefully" according to pure Islam. He, too, distanced himself from IS.
The judge will rule in two weeks.
In the media
with current criminal cases
Heerlen/Stein - A data breach at telecom provider T-Mobile (now Odido) led to the theft of at least 112,000 euros worth of crypto currency.
Kerkrade - One of the two suspects in the robbery murder of Fabian Esser (33) on June 23, 2022 in Kerkrade
Brunssum - A 15-year-old investigation into an aggravated assault in Heerlen has been cracked open thanks to a DNA match. In November
The court sentenced a 58-year-old man and a 60-year-old woman from Apeldoorn for a series of arson attacks in their hometown. They
HELMOND - Jahangir A. is serving a 10-year prison sentence for the manslaughter of Els Slurink of Groningen, but had to be
Police have arrested three men for the stabbing Monday morning in Sittard that injured two people. Three men from
Roermond - Ivo T. (32) of Born was acquitted by the court in Roermond of abusing a 15-year-old