Maastricht - How the bassist of the Heideroosjes came into the picture in a child pornography case, the justice department will not say now. The
Current criminal case
Eis of eight years against shooter of neighborhood brawl in Sittard (Limburger.nl)
The man who shot a neighbor in the head at his home in Aan het Broek in Sittard last year has been sentenced to eight years in prison. The man's lawyer asked for acquittal, claiming he acted in self-defense.
An argument between children preceded the shooting on April 14 last year. Sittarden resident Ben S. allegedly grabbed one of them firmly. When the boy's parents came to the boy's home to ask for help, S. pulled a gun and hit the stepfather in the head. The victim survived the shooting, but suffers permanent damage to one eye.
The prosecutor found proof that 55-year-old Ben S. deliberately shot at his victim. He demanded eight years of unconditional imprisonment for attempted manslaughter. The shooter's lawyer says S. felt threatened and that he acted in self-defense. She is asking for an acquittal. The perpetrator has been in custody ever since.
Surveillance cameras
The shooting incident is on surveillance cameras. Footage was shown Wednesday during the hearing in Maastricht District Court. It shows the grandfather of a girl involved in the argument at the door with the shooter's wife seemingly talking calmly about the incident.
Arm
The grandfather turns and walks away as a car stops at the driveway. Stepping out are the mother and stepfather accompanied by their son who is said to have been tackled hard by S. The parents walk up the driveway, S. walks toward them. It can be seen that he is holding something resembling a weapon. He kicks the stepfather and swings an arm, at which point the shot falls.
S.'s attorney argues that he shot because the stepfather appeared to be reaching for a weapon. The camera footage does not show that. The prosecutor speaks of deliberate shooting by S.
Bullied
The lawyer paints the picture of S.'s daughter being systematically bullied and abused by neighborhood children. Footage shows her being attacked by a girl. "He has great fear that something will happen to his family," she said.
Justice and S.'s defense agree that a 2016 car accident in which S. suffered brain injuries caused him to be less culpable. However, the Justice Department says he was operating in complete composure. "At the time he grabbed a weapon, there was no threat," he said.
Motorcycle Club
S.'s defense speaks of a threatening situation that led the stressed S. to grab a gun from the meter cupboard. "He says that the grandfather of one of the children allegedly said that a motorcycle club would come by," S. said.
The judge will rule on June 3.
The defendant(s) in this case are assisted by:
In the media
with current criminal cases
Heerlen/Stein - A data breach at telecom provider T-Mobile (now Odido) led to the theft of at least 112,000 euros worth of crypto currency.
Kerkrade - One of the two suspects in the robbery murder of Fabian Esser (33) on June 23, 2022 in Kerkrade
Brunssum - A 15-year-old investigation into an aggravated assault in Heerlen has been cracked open thanks to a DNA match. In November
The court sentenced a 58-year-old man and a 60-year-old woman from Apeldoorn for a series of arson attacks in their hometown. They
HELMOND - Jahangir A. is serving a 10-year prison sentence for the manslaughter of Els Slurink of Groningen, but had to be
Police have arrested three men for the stabbing Monday morning in Sittard that injured two people. Three men from
Roermond - Ivo T. (32) of Born was acquitted by the court in Roermond of abusing a 15-year-old